Lots of women, young women in particular are getting carry permits these days.

I know a few, probably 4 different females That aren't exactly avid shooters but they are getting carry permits. (I expect some push back on that statement so I will clarify in advance that I will help these ladies practice and become familiar with what ever the choice may be. And I will encourage they practice on their own as frequently as possible)

I'm going to toss out some thoughts, because I will be looked at to advise these women on firearms selections.

Please do tell me where I'm wrong because I'm more interested in their safety and their needs than I am worried about being right.

As my post title states, I'm leaning in the J frame (642/442) and LCR direction.

Here are some of my reasons.

Function under stress. I see a "hammerless" revolver as a very simple tool, no more complex than a push button flashlight. Functionally, it will simply work. It's loaded, you just point it at the danger and pull the trigger until it is out of bang noises. It wont fail to feed, wont FTE, none of that. In the odd case that a primer fails to ignite you just pull the trigger again (self clearing).

Here are some cons that I have sort of... justified.

Capacity is 5 in .38. But that's a 5 count of no bullshit, no dicking around with clearing malfunctions. It's 5 shots that will not fail you.

Reloading speed. Yes, this is true. But these women aren't going to carry extra mags anyways so I'm calling this one irrelevant.

Width disadvantage due to cylinder? I think they are around 1-1/4" to 1.3" at the wide point (cylinder). A lot of single stacks go an inch or better in width. I don't know, I don't have a good argument for compact revolver width vs small pistol width other than to say "not much difference here".

Well, there are my thoughts on the matter. I'm putting compact revolvers against little 380 strikers. Glock 42, LCR, M&P bodyguard etc.

Those pistols are all great little guns but I'm thinking keep it simple.

Ok, turn loose with your relentless dismantling of my ideas/theories here.

Thanks.

Something clever here.