When I head to the range there are usually at least 4-5 rifles along, with various size scopes, so one size target does not fit all. I first started making my own with a Magic Marker, eventually settling on an “X” much like danoz’s, but then the owner of the Precision Plains target Canazes9 mentioned sent me some of his, and I ended up preferring the diamond-shaped target with an open space in the middle.

With either, the size of the aiming point doesn’t really matter, as long as you can see it around the reticle. It can be pretty big and still provide precise aiming with a fine reticle, because any sort of crosshair reticle can be centered precisely with the help of the horizontal and vertical reference points, so works with a variety of reticles and magnifications.

I also prefer the blue color of the targets, as bullet holes can be seen better than on black. At least one study found orange tends to dance around for many people, especially in bright light. Dunno if that happens with me, but I do prefer blue, the reason the big Magic Marker I carry in my range bag for drawing occasional aiming points is blue.

But I do also use other targets, mostly because companies keep sending them to me to try out, and it would be ill-mannered and unprofessional not to. Plus they’re free!

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck