I use various styles, like one-inch white diamonds with either a 1/8 or 1/4 center ring. Depends on final scope power, whether a dot or FCH center, etc etc. I had a graphics program where I could experiment with all sorts of fancy textures, it seems like everything boils down to, the simpler the better.
Globe sights get round blacks with enough white for no distortion.
The target needs to be big enough to be visible -- and small enough to tell you whether you've actually centered it or not.
The color does not have to be black. Even a darkish gray works, or subdued reds, or mild blue.
One thing about orange targets that many don't know. Scopes and all eyeglasses have a prismatic effect to a certain degree, intense colors shine through the glass in a different spot from other intense colors. That's why we have a hard time seeing blue and red together.
This is called chromatic error. If you look for it, it can be really easy to see, especially with "cheaper" or older glass where the chemistry to pour optically-good (not perfect) glass was not well-understood.
So the deal is, we can SEE the fluorescent target really well, but we can't REALLY see it where it actually is.
I have found that orange dot targets don't mix well with black and white target backers at all. The focus is wrong, or maybe it's too narrow in the spectrum. But for me, they just float right off the target.
That is why the moderate blue of the targets John B. likes makes John happy.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.