Originally Posted by gitem_12
Originally Posted by whelennut
I am a civilian and I was talking to my concealed carry instructor and he just laughed when I told him about this forum.
He said there is no way you could convince a judge that you were defending yourself from a threat at 50 yds away.
So all the talk about flat shooting, accurate handguns is not an issue in Minnesota.
What I want is something to defend against home invasion. Which would be a twelve gauge or a second choice would be a 45 acp

I will start the pop corn.
whelennut

Me thinks your instructor is a moron

A recent case in TX comes to mind where a CCW'ER shot an assailant with a handgun at 65 yards..

Agreed, Gitem, instructor is a idiot!
And I beleive the incedent your referring to, happened in Brown County, TX, about 75 miles south of me. Local SO responded to a shooting where the bad guy killed his neighbor over a dog barking dispute. When SO arrived on scene, the bad guy shot and killed the first Deputy that responded. During the shootout, a elderly CHL holder in his late 70's shot and killed the Perp at 60 to 75 yards with a .357 Magnum.
Moral of the story, don't piss off a old Texan that can shoot a handgun! wink

And as to making long range shots with a handgun, I started shooting Sillhoutte Competition in 1980 with a Super Black Hawk with a 7.5" barrel in 44 mag. We shot Ram steel targets at 200 yards, and turkey steel targets at 200 yards in the shoot off if the match was tied after 40 rounds. And it wasn't unusual to see a shooter hit all 5 turkeys at 200 yards with just a plain old revolver.
Personally, I can hit a 10" steel plate fairly regularly with my Glock 10mm. Not all that hard to do with some frequent practice, IMO

Last edited by chlinstructor; 11/28/15.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~