Originally Posted by UNCCGrad
I'd really like to try a 6X but for the areas I hunt a variable works better. Most of our shots are 250 yards and in and lots of times within 100 yards in dark cover. I think a 6X would be too much in the woods and I'd really prefer to have more magnification for longer shots. For a hunting scope in my area the SWFA doesn't seem to do it for me.

Anyone in the east use one of them effectively?

I have a Fixed 6 MQ on my Montana.

Hunting upper midwest whitetails.

1. The turrets do not move unless you want them to. It takes moving them by hand. They'll not spin otherwise.

2. 6x is fine close and far. I was a dyed in the wool 3-9 kinda guy. LOVE the fixed 6 now.

It's under 100 to the dark swampline. Deer walk the edge and a trail about 1/2 way between camera and the edge. No issues acquiring a firing solution so to speak on either.

[Linked Image]

Bout 50 to the edge here - deer trail along a creek. That's an old logging road in front. Trail goes right to left along a creek to high ground in a swamp.

[Linked Image]

220 to the dark hole left of the center line of trees. Deer typically present right at the edge at 220 or at about 165 yards on the left 1/2 of the pic. No issues at dusk determining antlers or shoulders to fire on.

[Linked Image]

No issues at all with the fixed 6 and critters in any of them.
Yesterday I was holding on a fork horn at 12 yards with it in the same place as the top picture.

Glass wise - I can sight well enough, late enough that a shot would probably elicit a raised eyebrow from more than one person - given the ambient light.

Can't say enough about the 1 I own and it's made a believer out of those I've let sight/use it. The tracking on it is spot on.

Me