Originally Posted by RJM
My philosophy mirrors the eloquent Mr. Chamberlain. I never pushed for speed...I practiced to be smooth. Anytime I shot a match and shot smooth I shot the best I could be. Any time I wasn't smooth...you loose.

I shot IPSC from its inception in the 1970s to 1995 when I just could not stand the unrealistic scenarios any more. I've run as realistic tactical shoots since 1992 but rarely get to shoot in them.

Started shooting IDPA in 2013 knowing it was also a joke but needed trigger time so I just shoot it my way and accept the penalties. I always use cover even if it costs me time and reload behind cover instead of waiting till I run out of ammo which everyone else does. With their inevitable 12 round scenarios they remind me of the Gamesman of early IPSC who designed all the shoots around the 7 round .45 1911 Magazine...sad.

But it isn't ones ability with a gun that wins gun fights...it is mindset and tactics. You can be the best shot on the Square Range and get killed by a punk that never even shot his gun before he stuck it in his pants....and then in your face.

As to learning tactics, there are some pretty good schools out there but they all lack one thing...the ability to kill you if you screw up. And that is a major problem for the student as he knows even if he screws up he still goes home. After you search your first building knowing there is a badguy inside you'll understand what I mean...

So practice, read, visualize and talk to those who have been there and done that as it is the best you can do, and it is far better than doing nothing....

Bob

you made me think of something. Back in the dark ages, we had to practice at nigh, no lights, clearing a building. I never knew anybody that survived.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO