Originally Posted by 458Win
I have always been abit confused about the "logic" that claims small people get kicked less than big folks.
If that were true it wouldn't it be safe to assume that smaller guys would win the heavy weight weight boxing division ?

It has to do with the laws of physics (although the weight of the individual is only one variable among many when discussing the physics of something as subjective as felt recoil).

Basically a heavier person has less "give" to him and absorbs more of the force initially, prior to being "moved" backward by the recoil. A lighter person is moved backwards more easily, allowing the force of the recoil to be somewhat dispersed by the "opposite reaction of the rearward movement. Of course, like anything there is a point of diminishing returns. A small-boned person who weighs 80 lbs would probably suffer more from the effects of heavy recoil than someone who weighs 280 lbs. The larger person's ability to absorb the punishment due to larger bones and more tissue to cushion the blow would offset the fact that they are actually absorbing more force than the lighter person.

Next time you shoot your big bore, brace yourself by leaning against a wall and let loose. Then you will get the "full effect' of the recoil.

I believe having a heavy bone structure (otherwise known as big boned) and being in good physical condition, along with mental toughness, is the key to being able to shoot beg bore rifles without being impacted too much by heavy recoil.

I also believe that every time you shoot a big bore, your body is learning to adapt to the heavy recoil.

As for boxing, if a lighter person could punch as hard as the heavyweights, then he/she would probably be a good match for the heavier fighters.

If you want I can look up the formulas that explain this (I still have my university physic's book).

BH63

Last edited by BH63; 12/18/15.