I've taken moose with both the 30-06 and the 308, usually with 180-gr. Partitions, but I've also used 165-gr. Hornady BTSP's and Interbonds.

Moose are not that hard to kill. Hit them in the boiler room with anything reasonable and they will go down - not usually right away, though (unless you hit the central nervous system). They like to walk a bit before falling down. Also, they frequently don't show much reaction to being hit.

A friend here in the valley is a bear guide and his favourite personal hunting is for moose on horseback. He started shooting them with a 308, and then, after a few years, decided that he'd move to a 338. After taking a few moose with his 338, he went back to the 308, as he noticed no difference in results. His experience mirrored mine - he said that he'd shoot them in the lungs, then they walked off about 30- 50 yards and collapsed when their lungs filled up.

If you're worried about running into Mr. Grizz, then by all means pack the 338, but for moose it's not really necessary.

Last edited by John_G; 02/03/16.