Originally Posted by mart
Originally Posted by Tuchodi
A pelvis shot in my view ruins too many steaks and is not that great.

I'd have to disagree. The only shot my cow moose presented this last season was a pelvis (Texas heart) shot. I took the shot with the 400 Whelen and a 400 grain Hawk round nose at 75 yards. There wasn't a coffee cup full of damaged meat.

I've taken the shot a couple of other times on elk with a 30-06 and 300 H&H, both with 165 grain Partitions, and didn't find it doing much meat damage. Certainly not near as much as most shoulder shots. In all cases it instantly anchored the animals. In both instances the elk were hit in the chest but still on their feet. One was close to a state line and the other close to a very steep ravine. The pelvis shot anchored both and saved me a much longer pack on the one and prevented the other from crossing into another state. The landowner's farm was divided by the state line.

Mart is right. That's why I like heavy for caliber bullets. I had a large bull faced away from me in some really think stuff and all I had was a hip. I used my 375 H&H with a 300 grain, Barnes (one of the few Barnes I've used) but it was like that bull was hit with a drill press. You could eat right up to the bullet hole. Heavier, high SD bullets don't damage the meat as bad.

Back to the OP either caliber will serve you well. Just remember all the fun is over once you pull the trigger smile Just use a heavy for caliber premium bullet.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain