Originally Posted by dodgefan
You should probably google words like dhimmi and jizya. They are two fairly important concepts in the Islamic world.

I looked both of those up quickly. They were taxes that Jews and Christians were required to pay in order practice their religions in Muslim countries. It looks like they are still endorsed by at least some people, like certain clerics in Iran. That doesn't surprise me. It seems like a lot of these places are still stuck in the middle ages. I'm not going to pretend that these are good things. Discrimination was never unique to Muslims. We had plenty of it here in the West. In fact, there is still discrimination in this country and these days a lot of it seems directed at Christians. The topic of the thread was "Why do people hate Islam?" I still don't hate Muslims. I don't think anyone should get the idea that I prefer Islam either. I think a lot of the hate is because we are bombarded by negative images in the media, and we don't really understand Islam. I know I didn't. There is a lot I still don't know, and I am learning more from people on this forum. The more I learn the less of a problem I have with Islam. They seem to have had the same human failings that the rest of do. As for the media they seem less and less likely to deal with any topic fairly and honestly.