Originally Posted by 2legit2quit
Originally Posted by Remsen
If I'm doing my job right, I piss off liberals for a living. I'm a lawyer with a pro bono conservative legal advocacy practice (the paying work is corporate law). I focus on First and Second Amendment matters and do quite a bit of scholarly writing and publishing to counter the left's attacks on individual rights. If you know Mark Levin's legal work (not his radio work), that's the general theme of what I do. I probably make more enemies than friends from my work (especially since I'm in the San Francisco area), but when you do what you think is right for a living it's all you need.

If that post is truthful

You have my gratitude. Thank you

Thanks, it's the truth. I spent a good number of years as a lawyer at large firms getting pissed off at what was happening. I worked at a firm that was supporting one of the anti-gun legal groups (Legal Community against Violence) and was turned down when I said I wanted to do pro-2A legal advocacy. I decided that it was time to do something about it, even if it meant a lower income, so I left big firm life and started my own practice. I set aside about half of my working hours and used them to develop a body of scholarly work to support pro-liberty issues, found a few former law partners who were admitted to practice before the Supreme Court and had them sponsor me for admission and I've been writing law review articles and filing Supreme Court briefs since.

What I've learned is that the anti-gun groups rely on horribly flawed (if not outright fraudulent) legal arguments that gain acceptance, in part, because they are repeated so frequently in legal scholarship. I'm working to reverse that. I know my limitations, as a one person shop, but there's this theory about Army of Davids that I think rings true.

If anyone is interested, my papers are on the Social Science Research Network site for free download: http://hq.ssrn.com/submissions/MyPapers.cfm?partid=2133013

Eliminate qualified immunity and you'll eliminate cops who act like they are above the law.