Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
People backpack in Yellowstone all the time without problems. However, bears have learned that a gunshot means food. It draws them so hunting can be more dangerous than just hiking.

In the fall the grizz are looking to put on weight for the coming winter. They are hungry, pissed off, territorial and confrontational. DO NOT hunt alone!!! They will chew on you just to let you know that you are in their territory. Carry enough gun to get one off of you. That means your fav 270 or 30-06 is not going to work. My elk hunting days w/ a 6.5-06 are over, now I use a 358 Norma. Carrying a big sidearm is a plus as you can get separated from your rifle easily. Ti/Scandium 44 with 320gr cast is the way to go. I would avoid shooting at the dirt in front of them - waste of ammo that you might need to save your life - doesn't always deter them.

I have not hunted in the areas that you point out. I generally hunt in my backyard on the east side of Yellowstone. I don't go into "my woods" alone, during any part of the year. During the spring and fall I don't go out of my house unarmed.

The problem bears (IMO All of them) in my area are trapped and sent over to the hunt areas you are looking at. Problem bears from Jackson and the Tetons and sent over to my area. Some how this is suppose to solve a problem crazy. The only solution to the problem is to shoot them. However if you get caught shooting one w/o having flesh, muscle and blood removed from you - expect a $10,000 fine, possible jail time and a lengthy court battle.

Medicine Bow and the Big Horn mtns do not have griz yet. If you can get a tag there, you will be safer.

Some is Good---More is Better----Too Much is Just Right