Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
Originally Posted by Clarkm
Paul Steinhardt was critical of gravity waves news sensationalized to justify big bang in Nature Magazine in March 2014.

Do not come back to me and ask me to explain ALL the math in this video. I can explain how they violated scientific method.

Even physicists doing string theory are afraid a Steinhardt like attack might be after them. He does not attack string theory, just big bang and multiverse stuff.

To put a finer edge on it, what he champions is the idea called the "Big Bounce", i.e. an infinite series of big bangs, vs. an infinite number of big bangs occurring within a multiverse. He believes in an inflationary big bang universe, he just doesn't necessarily agree about what came before. One of the reasons he's so keen about gravitational waves, is, in theory, it's possible they could be used to falsify his hypothesis about what banged, and how it banged.

Interesting way of putting that.

Interesting discussion you all are having here.

Extremely interesting topic too.

Regarding the old guys coming up with this stuff long ago:

Slide Rules RULE!

screw computers, although I wonder what the old guard could have come up with given the computing power of a cell phone of today?

Geno

PS, around here, we used to know what banged, well maybe not what, but who.............

Travis banged and just about any old way he could.

PPS, I do hope the fella is doing well.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?