Originally Posted by urbaneruralite
It is worth pointing out that those who feel light loads and loose chokes work to forty yards and beyond are speaking from a narrow band of experience.

Those of us who regularly take our limit are apt to do differently.

Can't say I agree with that. I took my limit more than a little regularly before I moved to a place without any turkeys. Some springs I go back home to Montana to hunt them and often jump the border into Idaho to kill two more. I did the whole super tight pattern/high dollar equipment thing, but after 4-5 toms I realized it simply wasn't necessary, unless you're wanting to test the extremes of your equipment. Like others have said, too tight of a pattern will bite you at some point.

I have no idea how many turkeys I have killed over the years...probably 50+ in 4 states including fall hens, and I don't believe I have never NOT killed one because I was using the same shotgun/choke/load I use for pheasants/grouse/chucker. Like WyoCoyoteHntr, I've killed them with light #7.5 trap loads, though I wouldn't go out specifically after them loaded like that.

The OP has drawn a rare tag, and to him it may be worth it to go crazy and buy all kinds of new equipment. If that's the case, then good for him. It will absolutely work out for him.