Everybody has horror stories, but the current generation Wranglers are pretty civilized vehicles. As long as you stay away from lifted platforms with oversized tires, they are pretty stable. We bought a fairly new CJ-5 when the daughters started high school. They handled it very well driving it 25 miles to school, the first 19 miles of which was a county-maintained gravel road in the Nebraska sand hills.

The only prank that I heard about was a game that they called "smush the mouse". This involved swerving across the road to nail field mice scurrying across the road. They admitted that one effort took them on a detour into the borrow ditch and we chalked that up to a single-trial learning experience. They pulled a variety of farm implements from place to place on the ranch, and occasionally to a neighboring ranch without incident.

My wife had a '97 Wrangler as her daily driver on the ranch down here for a few years. It handled very well on wash-board county roads and on the highway, and on two-tracks and ranch roads that were only sporadically maintained. She often pulled a small utility trailer with it.

If your daughter is at all responsible, I don't think that you need to worry about her any more than you would if you bought her a Mustang GT or something similar.

I see Wranglers traveling up and down the interstates these days, pulling camping trailers and boats, as well as utility trailers and flatbeds loaded with who knows what. As long as you keep within the recommended parameters of tongue weight and GVWR, you should have no problems.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...