Originally Posted by ajmorell
Death wobble is actually not a result of an undersized steering stabilizer but the piss-poor steering geometry that is the result of the inverted-Y setup on almost all Jeeps. A steering setup with proper geometry doesn't require any stabilizer at all. The root cause of most death wobble issues is worn/loose track-bar bushings/bolts, rotted out control arm bushings, worn out steering boxes and occasionally tie rod ends or ball joints that are toast.

Exactly. With the inverted Y geometry, any sort of slop or "play" feeds a positive feedback cycle.

My first TJ ran on 35 inch swampers. For 8 years I had no front stabilizer at all. I took it up to 98 mph once. Never had any hint of death wobble, wasn't even sure what people were talking about.

My second was almost brand new when death wobble set in. There was slop in there somewhere though I never did exactly nail down the problem, eventually I just [bleep]-canned the factory track bar, drag link, and tie rod (and ends of course) and replaced them with after market parts from Currie. I torqued the shyte out of everyting, 10-15 foot pounds beyond recommended so wherever the slop was, it was crushed into obedience. smile End o problem.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...