I could stick with the .375,especially if I was going for lion and buffalo ( though I would use a 404 or 458 on the buffalo as I've only seen one, and he was OMG BIG,ha) I've been on 4 plains game hunts. I used my Mod 700 Classic 35 Whelen AI(250X) and 375 (270 failsafe for one warthog just for grins)in '96 (one hunt) , the 300 and 340, 338 mags in 98 (for two hunts, SA & Namibia mine was a too light 340W that ruined its scope so I used the other guys in my hunts rifles), then back to my 35 Whelen AI and 200X for one hunt in 2002 (made a 347yd shot on a Black Wildebeast with it too and a zebra at 250). I can honestly say that my 35 Whelen AI can and has done it all for me. I love them all, ha, but that old Whelen ( with Barnes bullets mind you) is a solid killer...just as good as any medium up to 350yds. I had a lion and a buffalo hunt fall through...so disappointed, I could have had an excuse for a nice 404 Jeffery! I had one built in 2001, but had an eye surgery (unrelated to recoil,ha) that messed me up. I do use a brake on my Whelen in its light, synthetic stock.I've owned several 375s...Winchester Mod 70, Remington 700 BDL SS, Remington 700 Classic and my favorite...a Whitworth Express. My nect faveorite was that Mod 700 BDL SS. Very light, but not too light, just right for the mountains. The Whitworth was perfect and very nostalgic for me. I gave all those rifles away to Missionary friends of mine, they are still in service. But my Whelen will be put in my casket when time comes...dang kids can't appreciate it, ha.

Last edited by Jim_Knight; 05/14/16.