blaser, there is no question that the 375 H&H Magnum is traditionally one of the most, if not THE most respected basic African calibers. And yes, "the rifle" is part of the excitement, in my view.

John Pondoro Taylor cited it as the best choice for a first/main/general purpose African rifle, capable of taking any game on the dark continent. Others, including Jack O'Connor and Col. Townsend Whelen, agreed with Taylor. Many others. That would be enough for me, and actually, it is enough for me. (I would say anyone who prefers the 375 Ruger is welcome to it, they are ballistically practically identical).

I prefer a bolt gun for general purpose riflery. I tried a Ruger Hawkeye and wasn't happy with the cracks that appeared at the wrist of the stock after a couple of boxes of ammo, so I sold it and tried a Winchester Model 70 375 H&H, and the light stock kicked the bejabbers out of my cheek, so I sold that one, then I bought a Kimber Caprivi 375 H&H and that rifle is the bee's knees as far as I'm concerned. It fits me well for length and height of comb, is well-balanced, has a flawless controlled-round feed action, and is just heavy enough to help manage the recoil without being so heavy I can't carry it for 5 hours on a buffalo stalk in the heat several days in a row, and still be able to shoot it comfortably when the stalk was successful.

If I decided to take a second rifle to Africa, the only purpose I can think of that the 375 doesn't excel at is as a "stopping rifle". For stopping DG, I would prefer a large bore double rifle, .450 NE or .470 Rigby, or perhaps .458 Lott. The latter is not exactly a double gun caliber, I know, but it can be if you have enough money to pay the gunmaker.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars