I have used the 416 Remington to take buffalo but I have also taken a 470 double that was in the truck when I happened upon a buffalo with a 375 in my hands. That is what really got me to thinking about using a 375 caliber rifle of some flavor as my main safari rifle. I have used the 375 H&H with the 270 TSX to take shots at 350 yards in the Eastern Cape while the 470 was at home. I found for me I didn't need a stopping rifle, I needed a rifle I could shoot more often. So the 470 is gone and is now replaced by a 375 VC double which I believe will fit my needs going forward better. If I want I can take this double and a bolt in 375 H&H or Weatherby. But my mindset now is to mate the 375 VC double up with a smaller cartridge, especially maybe a 303 next time or even 7x57 especially since I will be taking more family type trips.
My Africa rifle battery has to justify its spot in the safe now. Traditional stopping rifle calibers have a place but if it does me no good if they are too specialized to take each trip. Also the last few years of ammo and reloading component issues might also be helping to drive me to simplify what calibers I intend to keep stocked up on.