Originally Posted by johnw
The place I work is steadily hiring for almost all positions, both production and maintenance. They are paying a bonus for maintenance hire-ins and also for referrals. And ~29$ hourly plus benefits for mechanical maintenance guys.
Any body wants a maintenance job, I can net them and me a cool thou for signing on and staying 6 months.

And in the town I live near there are 2 facilities with signs out looking to hire full time workers. I believe them both to pay ~$20-25 hourly...

A lotta guys torpedo themselves with a new truck as soon as they get 3 checks under their belt. Then they're miserable working at a job that they can't walk away from without losing their truck or motorcycle.

In know a guy who's 52 years old and been working an 80K job for 12 years. He has a house payment, 2 vehicle payments and owes more on CC than his house and vehicles are worth. Never started his 401K as he didn't think he could live without the money on his check. And this in spite of the fact that his firm matches his first 6%, dollar for dollar.
Has to work to maintain his debt, but misses work due to depression over his debt.
If he'd started a 401K 12 years ago he'd have more than he owes...

If a bullfrog had wings, he wouldn't bump his ass when he jumps.

Look, I may never have "much" by some folks' standards, but I'll make sure my kids are ahead of the game further than where I started or finished. Any SOB that doesn't do likewise is, to me, failing in his duty as a parent.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.