Originally Posted by elkhunternm
Once I have the load and rifle sighted to where I want it,I go rabbit hunting. Short,long,in-between,sitting,trotting/jogging (don't like running shots unless I screwed up and already hit but not killed the rabbit) it's the best practice I know of.

Also works off a wee little bit from the middle. wink

Well, I did this as a teen, and until mentioned had completely forgotten about it. I think that I may need to get back it to this practice. I have a few new rifles that are in need of scopes being mounted and loads worked up. Practicing on Jacks would be great practice for coyotes.

Rifle#1 A scabbed together Frankenstein. A Savage Model 10 action off of a lesser used .22-250 with a $30 overstock barrel from ER Shaw chambered in 6x47L.

Rifle#2 Not put together yet. A Defiant action with a #4 contour Shilen in a McSwilry also in 6x47L.

Rifle#3 Another Savage action, with an ER Shaw Varmint contour chambered in 6.5x284 Norma and a Richards "Wolverine" laminated thumbhole stock

Rifle#4 A raffle prize. Ruger American Compact in .223 18" barrel with a 1:8 twist.

I have some scopes sitting around here. A couple of Weave K4's given to me by Ken Howell. A SFWA SS 6x42 mq, a Vortex Crossfire II 6x24x50, and a Vortex Crossfire II 4x16x50.

The vortex scopes are probably going on the 6.5x47L deviant rifle, and the 6.5x284, unless I cough up some seious money for a higher end scope.

I'm really leaning towards turning the Frankenstein Savage 6x47L into my coyote gun if I can get a decent load dialed in for it and mounting the SWFA 6x42. And for the reasons stated above. Don't want to have to worry about dialing a scope in. Just want to be able to point, aim, and fire.

OK, so, not asking for opinions on the brands of the scopes that I have on hand. But, which scope would you mount on which rifle?

And, I'm not really looking at using the K4's.

As for the RAR? Anyone out there with a RAR compact .223? What scope has worked for you ? I'm kinda of thinking another SWFA 6x42 or the Vortex 4x16x50

James Pepper: There's no law west of Dodge and no God west of the Pecos. Right, Mr. Chisum? John Chisum: Wrong, Mr. Pepper. Because no matter where people go, sooner or later there's the law. And sooner or later they find God's already been there.