My first scope was 6x. I really see no need for a higher magnification except to better see prairie dogs expand after a high velocity bullet hits them.

1/4 MOA is what I consider as good as it gets out of my firearms. But I don't shoot bench rest. I mainly hunt and do a little lever action silhouette with iron sights. No, I don't get 1/4 MOA with my 32 Special or my 30-30 with iron sights. frown . If I consistently shot 3 MOA with either of those off hand I would be quite happy. As it is - no way. A 6x scope can easily do that 1/4 MOA, even with my cataract eye sight. A 4x scope can do 1/4 MOA too.

I used to have 20/15 sight. Now not so much. frown

But using higher power scopes means more weight, more visible shaking etc. There is no way any advantage for me other than stated PD shooting to using > 6x scopes. Granted I have a couple 3-9x scopes, but they do not get set higher than 6x and they do not often go hunting.

I like to keep my game shooting < 350 yards. To me hunting involves stalking, otherwise it is shooting, not hunting.
I would rather shoot something at 35 yards than over too.

Last edited by Bugger; 06/21/16.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally