This past Saturday, Hank and I attended another local NAVHDA training day. I greatly appreciate these as I'm new enough at this dog training thing to not know what I don't know and the other members are a great help. One thing Saturday taught me is that I need to temper my expectations a bit, same as when I'm working with my kids on something. Since he pointed last month, I had it in my head that he'd lock up instantly at the first whiff of bird. That was not the case...

Anywho, since the last training day we've spent some time working on tracking in the yard with dead pigeons. He would work the track well, IMO, and always found the bird or treat at the end. On Saturday, it was apparent he was using his nose more and did a great job at finding all the birds (3 pigeons and 2 quail) that I planted for him. His snuffler does work! He had a couple of flash points and one that he held somewhat after I stopped him with the check cord. But, it is definitely something we have to get better at before his NA test in August. It was suggested I get access to some bird lauchers.

Now for what he did very well. Each time in the field after birds, another member was firing off a starting pistol. I was a bit worried that he may be abit gunshy after a firework experience a few weeks back, but he didn't even flinch this time. So, I think we are good on that and I plan on buying some 20ga 'poppers' for next months training. His prey drive is very strong!! I think that is one of the reasons he's not pointing well yet. He smells the bird and just wants catch it. He did momentarily catch one pigeon as I was too slow on the check cord and almost got a quail. That said, once the bird flushes he hits the after burners and is after them! One of the pigeons flew a bit over a 100yds into an adjoining woods and disappeared with Hank hot as his tail. I called him back and nothing. I called again and here he comes bounding through the grass with the pigeon in his mouth!! So, at least I know he knows how to find birds, now I just need to teach him to stop when he gets close. Any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Many more members showed up this month than last and therefore the field work took much longer than last. As such we didn't get to spend as much time on the water as I'd have hoped. I tossed the bumper for him a half dozen times or so and he showed now hesitation in going after the water and brought them all back to me. I think we are solid on that part for the test!

Speaking of the test, here's a quick run down of what he needs to do and where I think he stands.

1. Search the field and point a bird. He's good at searching and will work up to 75yds from me as I move through the field. As stated above, he finds birds, but we must get better at getting them pointed.
2. Not be gun shy. So far he doesn't flinch with the starter gun and I hope that continues when I move closer and to louder shots.
3. Track a live bird. He's using his nose and figuring out what birds smell like. He needs more exposure to this.
4. Go into the water with little/no hesitation. He's only been in water twice and so far he seems well adapted to it.

Again, I didn't get my expectations met, but we are progressing. I also recognize that any/all of his shortcomings are on me due to lack of exposure. I did find out about a conservation club not 10mins from the house that has a dog training area. Hope to put that to use over the next few months. Any and all advice or suggestions is great appreciated!!