A few things:

First, congratulations on a fun trip! Hunting new places is always a worry at first but that helps create lasting memories no matter the outcome. I go in with low expectations as if I am right it is as I expected so am not disappointed but if I am wrong it becomes a great hunt.

Second, regarding the birds not holding for a point. Part of that is the cover, some is more conducive to birds holding than others. Experience will help you recognize the differences and even then there will be times you get stumped. And that works both ways.

Another factor is the birds. Hunting pressure, cover, weather, and whatever possesses the bird's mind often determines how well or if a bird will hold for a point. Some days they will flush at the slightest provocation while other days they will hold until you step on them. You just roll with what you get and make the best of the chances you get.

The other factor is your dog. It takes exposure for a dog to learn how to read birds. There will be some mistakes along the way and the dog needs to make them to learn. Some dogs learn quicker than others while a few never pick it up though the latter are rare from decent lines. A corollary is you. Trust your training and the dog. Verbal and whistle commands are a tip off to the birds that something bad is coming their way.p and they get nervous. The more silent you are from the time you approach the area in your vehicle to the time you leave can have a positive affect on your hunt. If the birds have no clue you are in the area until you are close, the more likely you are to find them.

As for a game farm, that can be good practice. One needs to find a place that has cover conducive to pointing dogs though, many have cover better suited to flushers and/or drives. I take a friend to one once a week and help her work her pup. We set out 4 birds for training then follow up hunting scratch birds. Some of These survivors can be pretty cagey as they may have survived predators and Hunter's for a number of weeks. It is good for reaffirming the training as one only pays for these birds if you shoot them. If the dog doesn't perform as you want, don't shoot and if it does then shoot what you can afford.

Again, congratulations on your trip!