I started using the .338 around 30 years ago, after building one on an FN Mauser commercial action. The rifle evolved over time, through changes in barrel, stocks, scope, mounts, etc., partly because the first thing I noticed was the cartridge didn't generate as much recoil as some people claimed.

Within about 10 years the rifle's overall scoped weight dropped from over 9 pounds (which some said was necessary to tame the fearsome recoil) to an ounce under 7-1/2 pounds. During that period I also noticed 250-grain bullets weren't necessary, since newer 200-225 grain bullets penetrate plenty.

The stock is a Bansner, with the forend shortened a little. The barrel is 22" long, which obviously reduces velocity so much some bullets will bounce off larger big game, but apparently have been lucky.

Bansner stocks fit me a little better than McMillan's shapes, but that depends on the individual.

Have also owned two .338-06's and a .338 Federal, but eventually decided a light .338 Winchester worked just as well, since back when mine first appeared I found it easy to load to the same velocities, with fine accuracy.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck