Originally Posted by C_ROY
I have ran this set up for 15 years and would do it exactly all over again. When this barrel is shot out it will be replaced and nothing else changed.

Standard 700 S/S BDL in .338 Win Mag of course. Brown stock, Rick Bin did the paint 13 yrs. ago, barrel shortened to 22.5". Karl did his bolt thing. Warne steel bases & Burris Signature Zee rings. Leupy 3.5-10x42.

I may upgrade the glass soon.

[Linked Image]

Hmmmm ... intriguing.

I had a nice-packing, poor shooting 700 XCR in .375 H&H rebarreled with a 22.5" Lilja in .338 Win Mag and bedded to a Bansner stock blank the gunsmith finished for me. It didn't shoot good either. After a couple years another gunsmith built a heavy .264 win mag on that action ... it, too, didn't shoot that great. At that point I sold it and moved on. However, the "why" bothers me. Maybe it was the action, not the barrels.

That take-off Lilja is still sitting in the gunsmith's shop and I still have that stock. I just bought a 700 XCR II in 7mm mag. If it doesn't shoot, I'm thinking very seriously about having him headspace that .338 tube and give it another try. At least then I'd know.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...