I've been looking for good answers to that question since 2003 here in AZ. Best I have come up with is to rent a packer's services. Using word of mouth and friends of friends, it is not that expensive.

So far my deal is to walk behind the string and carry my own pack. Of course, the pack is light. This makes for a pretty 'easy' hunt, because water and meat are packed for you. And walking in keeps the livestock count, and price, down.

Ends up being $100 or $200 per hunter in my limited experience. Well worth it.

If it is possible for an ATV to reach the area, I don't scout it. Yeah, I'm leaving elk on the table, but with limited knowledge, it has been my best approach. Last hunt my buddy and I saw dozens of elk, and several bulls, every day. This was in a popular big bull unit in AZ.

In my experience, some National Forests enforce "No Motorized Access" areas, and some do not. I choose the ones that do.

I have not gotten to the point where I did not see another hunter, but close. Probably all I can hope for here. It's getting harder and harder to simply outwalk the competition.

That being said, I believe there are hidey holes near roads and homes that hold big bulls. If I find them, I'll hunt them.

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill