ATTITUDE AND PERSISTENCE TEND TO PAY OFF.
getting in better shape is damn near mandatory,I try, but at 67 its not easy, like it used to be from 18 years-50 years old or so, but like I stated I must have a bit of a masochistic streak, because I almost always spend the first day in the hunt area with a my-grain headache induced by both altitude and my marginal high blood pressure. yet I refuse to let that get me down, Ive learned to lie around while my body compensates and acclimates, to the altitude change, drink lots of warm tea, gator-aid and take a few aspirin every 4-5 hours , checking into a motel, a few thousand feet lower altitude, or just setting up camp and sleeping after getting into camp a couple days prior to opening day helps.
learning to read a topo map and anticipate elk movement away from easy access helps
keep in mind while hunting your on your own time schedule, making it too some intended remote canyon on your topo map,may take you 1-3 hours, just take the trip into and especially out if you have a heavy pack, at your own steady pace.
you might be amazed at how often youll find you see game while your doing the slow, stop and scan 360 degrees, while your resting while covering ground.(btw try too lean on a tree and stay in the shade while you can, and carry enough water..)