Started elk hunting 2 years ago. DIY, public land. Followed all the advice on getting away from the orange...

- Choose places without ATV access
- Find where the paved road ends. Keep driving
- Avoid marked/cleared trails
- Go deeper than the road hunter, but not as far as the guide/drop camps
- One road in, one road out. Fewer road the better.

Even went so far as to map all the roads in the unit and circle the areas that were miles from the nearest access point. Meaning - there is no way I'll see another hunter unless they drive the same nasty miles, then walk the same nasty walk. No way they can drop in off another road from any direction/drainage/ridge line.

All that said and done, I still couldn't get away from the orange.

It shocked me on multiple occasions to realize I wasn't alone in the woods I chose to hunt. Not to say the areas I was hunting was crawling with hunters, far from it. But on a handful of occasions, I would cross a set of fresh tracks, or see an orange hat sitting near a remote meadow I was glassing. With that, I've come to 2 realizations that I think are important for any DIY, walk-in hunter:

1) If OTC tags can be had for the unit you are hunting, you will be in the presence of other hunters. Plain and simple.

2) If you are willing to make the walk, slug the miles up/over/around, someone else is willing to do it too.

I've seen the advice given many times over about avoiding roads, walking the extra miles, getting into the thick stuff. And from my experience, that advice doesn't jive with avoiding the orange. Does it help avoid the crowds? Yes. But will it put you alone in the woods, being the only noise/scent/human pressure for those elk? No, no it won't.

Just my experience. And it was a bummer. All those miles in, and to cut someones tracks really made your heart sink. So to those planning a hunt in remote areas - go in expecting to see others. Maybe not the road crowds, but you won't be alone. If you have planned it and physically made it, so has someone else. Out wit the elk with your hunting knowledge, because outwitting the elk and elk hunters by going further and deeper is tough to do.

Last edited by OutdoorAg; 03/27/15.