Originally Posted by noKnees
I have two, the first is the 20" compact and the second is a Hawkeye...

I know a lot of guys don't see the logic in the 338RCM, but for me I find the short mags like the 338RCM and 300WSM are right around the recoil level I can shoot without much effect or preparation in a 7lb rifle. Much more cartridge I need either more rifle to handle it or I have to be more careful of how and how much I shoot them.

The one disadvantage is that the brass is sole source, so when I started down the the 338RCM road I put away a half dozen boxes.

Why is it that most of us posting own two of them???

I have the 20 inch compact with the Ruger sights, an e-a-s-y carry rifle and quick pointing with enough punch to reach anything at a distance that I should be realistically shooting at game. I've put 130-150 rounds through it, and been happy with the accuracy, around an inch without trying too hard.

I bought a Hawkeye 22 inch for the reloading package with it, and have not shot it. But it's a project for next month.

I have a 338-06 as well, and the difference between the two calibers is moot on paper, the 338-06 is a long action, so there is a bit more to carry in the woods. Recoil is the near the same as far as my calibrated shoulder can tell.

I'd agree on the recoil being about right, in that I can put in the range time prepping without a week of recovery afterwards.

I don't expect to find either caliber on the shelf, so ammo travels with me if I'm hunting out of the local area.

I would echo the comment on the brass, and to a degree-factory ammo, is the limiting factor. If you jump in, get a stash that will last you for a year or so. From what I can tell, the brass is only produced in one run once a year, and it is still sole source.

CDNN was discounting the RCM in 300 and the 338 for a while, which I think helped the demand signal for ammo production.

Last edited by AH64guy; 07/26/16.