Originally Posted by Fastback65

Like I said I am usually the under 300 guy.
I have no dream of ever shooting an Elk at 1200 but will enjoy shooting at the range at the longer distance.
Thanks guys

It seems to me that you actually have two separate purposes here, and a rifle well suited to one, but not perhaps so well suited to the other.

I’m a fan of light rifles for hunting myself, and yes, it is possible to shoot them well. It would seem to me that as a hunting rifle for your usual run of shots out to 300, and maybe the odd occasion a bit further, your dream rifle should be well-suited.

However, based on my own experience, as a rifle for developing skills at the range for shooting out to 1200 yards it will have some serious drawbacks. Among other things, the recoil which isn’t a bother for the odd shot or two in hunting, becomes an issue for putting in shot after shot in practice at the range. It is also a good deal more challenging of course, to hold a very light rifle steady, and there’s no counterbalancing advantage to light weight in a rifle that you only carry to from your car to the line. Personally I’d be inclined to suggest that you might be better off having a second rifle, something with a bit of heft about it, for the long-distance range use, and keep your NULA for hunting.
That’ll make your scope choice a bit simpler too.

I’d be looking at getting something nice and light on your hunting rifle, both to take advantage of its light weight and handiness and also because a heavy scope on a light rifle with a bit of kick about it will be hard on mounts. For my own use on a light rifle for hunting out to 300 yards I personally would choose a good scope in the 2-7 to 3-9 sort of category. Unlike some I’m not inclined to crank dials for this sort of use, but that is a whole other argument.