Originally Posted by T_Inman
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
I have no problem with the 06... Used one for 10 years.. Still have two and use one every now and then..

When comparing the .300's to the 06 and sighting in at 200 yards they look close.. But the 06 is higher at 100 yards to get the 200 yards zero.. Put the .300 at equal elevation, and the diff. is even greater at long range.
It may not be important to some, but it seems the really big bucks are just a bit smarter.. I like that edge..
Even with jorgeI's figures.. the .300 out classes the 06 at 400 by 10 inches. That is a lot.. If you never need it then it is unimportant.. I don't always hunt in areas that range is needed, but when I do, it is nice to have that edge..

This is precisely why I'm taking a 300 on my first elk hunt. Love my 06's but I need an edge! smile

All things being equal, you all are right...but put a bullet with a decent B/C in either chamber and the margin tightens, at least within sane ranges.

Nothing at all wrong with the 300 Wby...it's a killer no doubt but after killing elk with my 6mm Rem, .25-06 and 6.5x284, I really don't want to put up with the heavy recoil of my 340 Wby and 300 Win anymore.

I am taking my 300 H&H this year though, just because.

Thinking about the H&H myself ! smile

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”