As much as I love my .300 Win and .340 Wby, and their effectiveness on elk with any reasonable bullet, I was more than a little impressed with my 6.5x284 on this Wyoming bull last fall. Shot was 125-150 yards or so, so not real far and with the dreaded 140 AMAX.
[Linked Image]

He took 1 step and collapsed hard, almost like he had someone help push him down. He's the only bull I have killed with that round/bullet so I plan to do more "research" this fall with an extra cow tag. It won't be taking a bull this year though since my 300 H&H and 200 grain old style grand slams are begging me to go.

I'd be a fool to deny the effectiveness of my .340 Wby on elk though...with a variety of bullets. This was just a cow, but she was a lead cow which are about as tough as bulls IMO. 350 or so yards and she took 3 chest shots, though she didn't take single step and was dead after the first one. I think this time I was using 200 grain accubonds, but may have been 225 grainers.
[Linked Image]

Those two rounds straddle the 30-06, proving to me that all is well in the world of elk hunting rounds.