Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
Originally Posted by horse1
ACK!!!!!!!! 30-06 is the preferred choice of road-hunters, gut-shooters, and leg-blower-offers world-wide.

30-06 is the frumpy hairy-armpits and in desperate need of a bikini wax cousin to the sleek, sexy, impeccably groomed sweetheart supermodel 270Win. The 30-06 is like that really hot chick with a fat momma and a grandma with a beard, no good will come from it long term.

On paper the 30-06 is a fine round and pretty near anything I've ever done with a rifle could've been done well with a 30-06, but I can't do it.

Proud to say I've NEVER carried a 30-06 in the field!

Read and reread this post. Had to make sure of it, your opinion is based on zero experience in the field with the 30-06. No experience, no opinion should go together automatically. You are a hero in your own mind. Jfc where do these people come from?..mb

Originally Posted by Hastings
Originally Posted by horse1
ACK!!!!!!!! 30-06 is the preferred choice of road-hunters, gut-shooters, and leg-blower-offers world-wide.

30-06 is the frumpy hairy-armpits and in desperate need of a bikini wax cousin to the sleek, sexy, impeccably groomed sweetheart supermodel 270Win. The 30-06 is like that really hot chick with a fat momma and a grandma with a beard, no good will come from it long term.

On paper the 30-06 is a fine round and pretty near anything I've ever done with a rifle could've been done well with a 30-06, but I can't do it.

Proud to say I've NEVER carried a 30-06 in the field!
Curious, what do you carry? What do you hunt?

Ooofff, we've got some serious lack of being able to pick up a what should be some mighty obvious sarcasm.

For the most part, I shoot one of a couple M70 SS Classics in 300Win Mag for elk and the one Canadian moose I've taken. I mostly use one of several 270Win's for everything smaller. I've also taken elk with a 257Wby and a couple with the 270Win. Because someone asked, I've taken 13 elk on 17 trips, unguided, public or private with no $$ permission. 1 moose, 2 caribou, half-dozen Mule-Deer, a couple pronghorn, 50-some whitetail bucks and a whole bunch of WT does.

The 300 is a relic of my pre-LRF experience when I was just certain down to my toenails I needed a belted magnum for everything bigger than a coyote. I know I no longer "need" a 300Win for elk. But, the rifle is accurate and more importantly, I can shoot the rifle well both off the bench and from field positions, so, the 300 is going to be my elk-rifle for the foreseeable future.

The whole picking on the 30-06 thing is really just because I grew up in the '80's shooting a 270Win. Now I chose the 270Win not because of some perceived mythical characteristics or demonstrable "on-paper" differences that show a few fractions of an inch difference in trajectory or wind drift at several hundred yards. I shoot a .270 because my dad shot a .270 and if I shot what dad shot while I was in jr-high and high-school, ammo was free, just had to stuff the components together.

So, settle down guys and re-read the hairy armpits and bearded grandma stuff and just grin, maybe chuckle a bit, as that's all it was intended to do, give folks a laugh.

Last edited by horse1; 01/14/23.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.