My nephew wanted to try out some different caliber rifles so I pulled a selection out of the safe including my .338 LH Stainless Classic for him to try. Grabbed a box of Remington 225 grain factory loads for it and met him at the range. We worked our way up from the .270 and I set him up with the .338. First shot I thought I noticed a little smoke from the action before he ejected the case. He put a 2 more through it and I notice he's having a hard time getting the bolt back. I figure inexperience. So I take a seat behind the gun and load up 3 rounds. First 2 shots the bolt is sticky, third shot I had to wack the bolt handle with my hand to get it to start back. I look at the cases and notice a shinny ring just ahead of the belt on a couple and a bit of soot on two more. Enough of that so I case it up. Cleaning things up tonight I take a closer look at things. Here's what my bolt face looks like now.
[Linked Image]

The culprits
[Linked Image]

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn