Originally Posted by tmitch
My nephew wanted to try out some different caliber rifles so I pulled a selection out of the safe including my .338 LH Stainless Classic for him to try. Grabbed a box of Remington 225 grain factory loads for it and met him at the range. We worked our way up from the .270 and I set him up with the .338. First shot I thought I noticed a little smoke from the action before he ejected the case. He put a 2 more through it and I notice he's having a hard time getting the bolt back. I figure inexperience. So I take a seat behind the gun and load up 3 rounds. First 2 shots the bolt is sticky, third shot I had to wack the bolt handle with my hand to get it to start back. I look at the cases and notice a shinny ring just ahead of the belt on a couple and a bit of soot on two more. Enough of that so I case it up. Cleaning things up tonight I take a closer look at things. Here's what my bolt face looks like now.
[Linked Image]

The culprits
[Linked Image]

Eek.

First thing I'd do is find some gauges and check headspace. Next, I'd call Winchester. They just replaced the bolt body on a NH M70 that somehow had gotten bent (THAT was a first).. $227 incl. ship back - and they did it inside a month.

I'd also call Rem and yowl about those factory loads. With pix of those primers I have a feeling they'll be right pronto on ponying up something to satisfy you..

I also agree with pal - I've had some rough M70 faces in before but THAT one looks like it was done via a Dremel.. Geez..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!