Nothing wrong with American bullets. Indeed shot a 47.5 inch Cape buffalo with a Winchester 458 soft point in Kenya Colony with "Bali" that great brown hunter ( Muhammed Iqbal Mauladad), during the maumau days. The Ferlach over and under 458 win mag dropped it with a single round through the humerus and heart. Bali preferred his 416 rigby . Which I felt was too light for following up in high grass. He was gored by a Cape buffalo and died soon thereafter in 70. He had as ever his excellent 416 rigby with which he had shot magnificent elephants.
The 416 rigby with its' steel bullets could penetrate anything but stopping a charge is something else. The 45-70 will not deter an elephant nor a buffalo. It was a poor mans rifle in India and used by some police officers to shoot bears and Tigers at their own peril. The sheer number of bullets might stop the beast eventually. The first bullet is the one with the stopping power, for once the adrenalin kicks in the follow up rounds are not felt in the same way by a frenzied animal.
Soon it shall be my hour to return to the happy hunting grounds of old where Bali and I shall once again be young and brash and impetuous following up in tall grass.