Originally Posted by Canazes9
Originally Posted by mudhen
FWIW, I have no problem with anyone taking their .556 Tyranosaurus Special, if that's what you want to shoot. My objection is to guides and/or outfitters insisting that you must bring at least a .300 Magnum of some sort, especially if you don't have a .300 Magnum (or something larger) in your gun safe that you shoot regularly. A nilgai hunter should be free to bring whatever rifle he has that he has confidence in and can shoot well.

It's a vicious circle of ignorance.

One of my buddies had a guided hunt for Texas white tail, he brought his 270. When he returned to camp w/ a nice buck one evening there was another "sport" that had tagged a nice buck. The "sport" looked at the well placed shot on my buddies deer and asked him what he was shooting.

When my buddy told him he was using a 270, he sneered and said "that's what I started with as a kid." The sport let him know that he had taken his deer w/ a 300WM and was grateful for its "stopping power" on his "tough" buck. His deer had 3 bullet wounds, only one of which was marginally in the vitals...

My buddy's s guide told him later, quietly that their typical customer shot like Mr 300WM, regardless of what rifle they were using.

David

Amen!

Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Trying to tell one of them Texicans that he may be misinformed and you know better, may not be an easy task.

Arguing with a woman could actually be more productive... shocked

DF

and Amen!

The latest case in point was fellow poster BMD's African hunt with his daughter, who obviously knows how to handle a rifle. She consistently killed numerous head of plains game with a 7mm08/140 TTSX combo, including the "super tough" stuff.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.