I'm deathly afraid of heights. The couple of times I climbed into a tree stand I sat in a dizzying fog of terror, so I now keep my feet firmly planted on terra firma. On the same side of the coin, after 2-3 hours of staring at the same trees I find myself going batshit. At that point I get up and move, if even just a hundred yards to change my viewpoint, and it may take me twenty minutes to move that hundred yards. Or, I may get a wild hair and need to see if something is bedded down over the next hill and set off on a still hunting adventure. Being afraid of heights has an unintended consequence: it forces me into a mixed approach of standing and still hunting, and keeps me sane.

Of course, it all depends on my mood, weather, and whether or not the pretty barmaid I chatted up the night before is working the lunch shift. grin

Those who I really pity are those who build elaborate stands/huts and hold themselves captive in them every day of the season, staring at the same trees year after year. The deer they get are simply killed, not hunted. Not that I blame them if they do so on a tiny plot they own, and that is the only way to hunt the property short of marching around and around as if on guard duty. Rather, it's the guy who does so when there's 3000 acres of accessible land at their back, full of new things to see and deer waiting to give them a run for their money.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty