Originally Posted by 2legit2quit
...see the wisdom in okie johns reco to get them local training first and master some basics before sending them outside to some of the name institutions….I was a big Cooper fan, and sadly it makes me aware of I've not done quite enough for my lads to appreciate the unique qualities of the late Colonel.

Though my oldest did receive a copy of the art of the rifle with his second center fire rifle, a 30-06 of course

….There's probably some wisdom in some basic local instruction prior to going to a school, however I wouldn't worry too much about that if sending them to Gunsite. In our "basic" class we had everything from advanced law enforcement trainers to people who had literally never fired a gun-----their system and personnel worked everyone through their program and they had enough instructors that individual attention pretty much evened-out the experiences. The one obstacle that NO school can deal with is someone showing up to impress them with how much they know and how good they are. We had one of those at GS and another at TR…….Clint uses left-handed sarcasm to imbue humility while GS does enough man-against-man exercises to embarrass the arrogance out of someone. Either would be a great choice, unfortunately, TR fills up so quickly that you almost have to plan a couple of years in advance!!

The blindness from subjectivity is indistinguishable from the darkness of ignorance.