I'm affiliated with the only people I'd recommend for the type of class you're looking for so it'd be pretty self serving to recommend them. I haven't taken any basic classes from the high-speed guys mentioned here so I don't know how they would do with new shooters.

A few things I'd look at in general....

Is the instructor able to deal with new shooters? Some don't have the patience, or knowledge base to deal with new shooters. That's not a bad thing, I really believe some guys have just gotten so used to everyone around them being so good that they don't know what to do with new shooters. It's just something to be aware of.

Is the course geared toward the outcome or the experience? Some courses are more of a feel-good-good-time type of experience that just want you to be comfortable with a gun. Others don't mind hurting your feelings a little, but want nothing more than to see you get to be a really good shooter. Both are fine, but you'll be happier if you choose a class that fits what you're wanting.

Are the course goals realistic? Any "new shooter" class that promises to have you shooting on the move and gunfighting your way to Valhalla in a day is just trying to sell you marketing gimmicks, or they're not going to give you the foundation you need to be really good later on.

Check out the venue. Maybe I'm just a punk, but if I can have a range with at least some shade to take a break in, bathrooms and somewhere to eat pretty close...I'll take it. I don't have to have it, but it sure makes a long couple of days not seem so long.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling