Originally Posted by magshooter1
Originally Posted by 1minute
An aging neighbor has been loaning me a number of WWII books recently on both Europe/Africa and the Pacific. One gets a much more detailed picture as opposed to the condensed versions one sees on a single page in a history book.

The number of seriously tough people involved and the logistics overcome back then are absolutely astonishing.

They are/were indeed the greatest.

No argument there. The world will never see their like again.

Dad flew 34 missions as a gunner in B-24's over Europe in late 43 and 44. Rotated back to the states and was transitioning into B-29's when it ended.

Got discharged and worked in the oil and chemical industry till 1982. Got married and had 3 kids along the way. He has spent the last 30+ years whacking deer, ducks, turkeys, golf balls and chunking baits at bass. Had me get a couple more game cameras for the farm for this fall. He'll be 94 in November and plans to deer hunt as much as I can take him. I may be 1/2 again as big as he is but, I'll never be 1/2 the man he was when it counted.

Great story. Thanks for sharing.

My 90 yr. old father-in-law served on an aircraft carrier, hit by kamikazes. He and his 90 yr. old wife are independent, keep up their property, drive to the store, etc.

Good, tough, God fearing folks.

Salt of the earth, a generation that hasn't been duplicated.

DF