Originally Posted by wilkeshunter
The WWII generation was just entering retirement age during my formative growing up years. There were no finer folks and I really enjoyed being around them. I much preferred them to the folks my parents age. I really miss them and the backbone that they added to society. I am fortunate to sit in front of a WWII veteran at church each Sunday. We routinely thank him for his service, which he modestly down plays. He was driven to the front three days after Normandy, so he certainly did his part.

I also enjoyed being around folks from that generation when growing up. Anytime I learned someone was a vet of WWII, I ate up anything they would share about their experiences. And some I didn't learn they served until after they passed. Regardless, they were good people to be around for their values and wisdom.

One fine gentlemen who fought in Europe all the way to Germany spoke of a guy in their unit who wouldn't bath even after he was given many direct hints he should. It was finally remedied one night by giving the fellow a surprise and rather vigorous scrubbing (I'm leaving the description at that). Suffice it to say, he got the message and no more forced bathing was required. I spent many a night enjoying the hospitality of this man's home, while we spoke into the wee hours about many things, most of which had nothing to do with his military service. It was a sad thing to learn he had passed when I came back for a visit while going to college.