Dad served in Africa and Europe. Infantry under General Patton. Wounded twice in combat. Once in a straffing run on an airfield he was dug in on, and once during the brutal street fighting in Italy. He took a MG round in the belly. Went to his death with scars on his gut and backside. He saw Mussolini hanging from the derrick as the partisans riddled his body with gunfire. He heard the rumors about the Germans having a plane that flew without propellars, and shortly thereafter saw one of the first Me 262's. After his second wound, he got off the front for a while. His duty was driving a war photographer around. We have a big box full of black and white pictures of battle damaged tanks, POW's , knocked out German artillery, etc. He went back to the front lines in January of 45. Patton's boys were driving towards the border and it was all hands on deck.

Like so many others, the horrors of war were very hard on him, and he dealt with it all on his own. I can remember him calling out in his sleep for medics, and artillery coordinates. These were some truly amazing men. My heroes one and all. They truly were our Greatest Generation.

Rest in Peace
Seargeant H.W. Grubb

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla