I took ownership of four pre-64 model 70's from my Grandfather 13 years ago. I held these guns precious to me until my Grandma passed away a little over a year ago. For some reason, the sentimental value of these guns diminished with her passing. I never had the intent to sell and I never had the intent to use them. I am, now, to the point of pondering whether I should let them go and be appreciated by someone else. They sit in my safe, nobody sees them, at all, except for the occasional wipe down.

A little history, my Grandpa went to Africa in 1970 and 1971. The .375 H&H and the .300 H&H were heavily used and kind of shows it. The .300 Win mag, I believe, was only used on one trip and is in beautiful condition.

The .458 was bought in 1972 or 1973 and my Grandpa was going to take a third trip and try to take an elephant but every thing got put on hold as the country he was planning on going to made it hard with the protection of elephants, at that time. He never made it back for that third trip. This gun sat in his gun cabinet for 30 years until he passed in 2003. He or no one else has fired this rifle since he bought it in the early '70's.

I am a gun enthusiast. I own many. It, for some reason, feels sacrilegious if I shoot these. Like I said, they just sit in my safe and maybe it is time to part with them. I have had offers on the .375 and the .300 Win Mag but turned them down. I have a son but cannot leave these guns to him when my time comes to head for the great hunting grounds. So, I sit in ponderance not knowing quite what to do.

I once knew the years that these guns were built (well, other than the .458), but have since forgot. I pretty much know the value. My question is, what is the best way to sell these, if I so decide to? I have bought guns from Gunbroker.com. Never sold through them. Is that the best way? Something like that .458, it just seems like I could find a guy that would really want one, beings they are, somewhat, limited. I guess what I am saying is, it almost seems chinzy selling something like that on an online auction. Guys that buy classic cars go to classic cars shows. It's a lot of cash to part with for a great rifle like this, even though, it has some minor flaws.

I will try to put some pictures up here, for what it's worth, but no promises as I am knew here.

.458 Win Mag

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Will spare you of the others. The only one that I would believe is in collector condition is the .300 Win. Mag, and I may be mistaken on that as I am no expert, but my biggest concern, although, I would sell all or none of these, is the .458 Win Mag.

Thanks for taking the time to read this and I appreciate any advice or input given.