Gentleman,
I wanted to get your opinion on the following, since we discussed this a little while back in a separate thread. The thread mentioned, was regarding your preference about whether shooting your front or rear trigger first. Although I have most of the facts, please do not quote me, as we are all still trying to get to the bottom of the reason for the occurrence listed below.

As many here know, I shoot a Merkel in .500NE. A friend of mine recently bought a Heym in .500NE
Upon him choosing to fire the rear trigger first, the rifle double discharged and the rifle was subsequently damaged. Whether from the intense recoil, or the dropping of the rifle it is difficult to say.
He took it back to the store whereupon they contacted Heym. As I understand, Heym informed the store that this will happen to most double rifles when firing the rear trigger first. If I understood correctly,they mentioned Heym, Merkel and Verney. Heym has asked for the rifle to be sent back and they will repair the rifle. ( Cosmetic repairs)

What are your opinions about this? As far as I am concerned, you should be able to choose whichever trigger you wish to fire first, especially if you are carrying a soft solid combination for instance.
I have double discharged a 470NE before, and have no desire to double discharge any double ever again.
I'm thinking of loading a primed case, and then firing my left barrel a couple of times, just to see if the right barrel gets hit by the firing pin.

If you own a double, please state the make and caliber, and also whether you fire the front or rear trigger first and whether you have had this happened for the same reason.

Please discuss.

Marius Goosen
KMG Hunting Safaris
Professional Hunter and Outfitter
South Africa, Namibia, Mozambique, Zimbabwe, Zambia
http://www.huntsafaris.co.za
[email protected]