Originally Posted by jorgeI
A couple of points. First, Merkels have a horrible reputation for doubling, I know of at least fourteen separate and distinct occurrences. Second ANY double worth it's salt should have ZERO problems in selecting which barrel to shoot first. Why? because it affords the hunter the opportunity to load a soft and a solid and depending on the game (my opinion solids should only be used on elephant, rhino and hippo on dry land). My Verney Carron has no issue with discharging either barrel as I choose. Lastly, my muscle memory is to always fire the front trigger first and my VC is not equipped with intercepting sears.

Jorge, this happened on a Heym, so as far as I am concerned, they are certainly worth their salt. Heym claims that this should be expected when firing the rear trigger first and deny that there is anything wrong with the rifle. They said the same will happen firing the rear trigger first on a Verney or Merkel, which I called BS on. As far as I am concerned, the shooter should have the option of decision on which trigger to fire first, without any double discharge.
I agree, I also shoot the front trigger first.

Last edited by KMGHuntingSafaris; 09/11/16.

Marius Goosen
KMG Hunting Safaris
Professional Hunter and Outfitter
South Africa, Namibia, Mozambique, Zimbabwe, Zambia
http://www.huntsafaris.co.za
[email protected]