Originally Posted by Folically_Challenged
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter
Can't wait to get my 165g SSTs to the range for some water jug testing.

I'll be interested to see what you find. The 165 SST's were far and away the most accurate bullets in my previous '06, but I never found anything but fragments in the backstop. Maybe they're tougher than they were 10 years ago. Maybe 100 fps less from a .308 will stress them less. I'll be looking forward to your pics.

FC

"I never found anything but fragments in the backstop. Maybe they're tougher than they were 10 years ago"

Maybe. Shot a 165g from a .30-06 through a water jug today with a blank sheet of paper behind it. LOTS of holes from lead fragments. Found a piece of jacket stuck to the inside of the blown-apart jug.

We tested six loads at 20 yards. All loads were chrono'd except the Core-Lokt:

.243 Win, 95g Hornady SST, 2925fps (avg.)
.257 Roberts, 100g Barnes TTSX, 3233fps (avg.)
.30-06, 150g Winchester Ballistic Silvertip, 3005fps (avg.)
.30-06, 165g Hornady SST, 2863fps (actual)
.300 WM, 180g Winchester Power-Point, 2825fps (avg.)
.300 WM, 180g Remington Core-Lokt, 2700fps (factory spec)

The only 'clean' target was with the 100g TTSX. You could clearly see where the TTSX had expanded and left a 'three-leafed clover' hole, with a second hole where the fourth petal hit the target.

All of the lead core bullets had multiple hles in the paper target - lots of them. That said, the worst IMHO was the 165g SST target:

[Linked Image]

When I get time I'll post all the target photos in a separate thread.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.