Originally Posted by Mule Deer
I haven't had any problems with split cases, but have a bunch of brass, and the most any have been loaded is 2-3 times.

Some of the early cases used in factory ammo had "shallow" primer pockets, only discovered when somebody tried to reload them and standard small-rifle primers wouldn't seat deeply enough. The pockets weren't just slightly shallow, but a LOT, with only about 3/4 of the primer entering the pocket.

I never encountered this in any of the factory ammo I shot, or in unfired brass, but did run into some after purchasing a batch of once-fired cases off the Campfire Classifieds. About 2/3 had shallow pockets so I "uniformed" them, and they work fine.

What I've since wondered, however, is where Hornady got primers to fit those shallow pockets?

I've had issues with gifted once fired Hornady brass in a number of cartridges , i know it was once fired because i was present when it was fired. 44 mag, shallow primer pockets, .308 tight primers pockets so undersized that I could not seat CCI,Win or Rem primers. Of 20 .300 H&H 7 of them had oversized primer pockets primers fell out after seating.

Recently purchased a 77/22 17 H, and will begin with factory ammo.
Couldn't believe its cheaper then loading if you have to purchase new brass.

Here it's $28.00 per box of 25 . $1.12 per round
Bullets are $30.00 per hundred $.30 per round
New Brass is $50.00 per 50 $1.00 per round
Primers are now $7.00 per hundred $.07 per round
$1.37 per round plus powder vs $1.12 per round for factory.

Flyer