I will be bedding my Montana and a couple other rifles in a week or two. In the tutorial Brad posted for his Montana he used the tightened action screws to hold the action in and did not tape off the recoil lug.

I see that often when rifles are bedded a layer of tape is placed on the sides, front and bottom. I thought Brad may not have done this because of the shape of the Montana lug and the fact that he completely tightened the action screws using them instead of something else to hold the action in the stock when bedding.

Do any of you also bed the lug without using any tape? It sounds to me like it would cause the action to be held even better as long as you can still get it in and out of the stock when necessary.

I know you don't want tape on the rear bearing surface. I just wondered of folks do it either way depending on preference or if it just works because of the light skim bed on a rifle like the Montana that is already bedded to a slave action and because Brad was using the action bolts very tight during the bedding job.